It can be uncomfortable to wait endlessly for your hair to grow. You can find lots of suggestions for speeding up the growth, however the easiest place to start, in our opinion is your diet. Once you’ve got the nutrition part under control, we’ve also assembled the best and most effective lifestyle changes and hair care tips.
Here are some tips to make your hair grow faster that you should consider:
- Avoid shampooing every day
Unless your hair is really oily, shampooing your hair daily can dry out and damage your hair. Washing your hair every other day allows your body’s natural oils to condition your hair.
You may also consider using a scalp treatment to help keep your hair follicles clean. This may also help to keep your hair healthy.
- Use conditioner
When you do shampoo your hair, be sure to condition it. Hair conditioner helps to replenish the oils that have been stripped from your hair during shampooing. Make sure that you completely wash the shampoo out of your hair before conditioning.
- Rinse your hair with cool water
After you rinse the shampoo and conditioner out of your hair, briefly rinse out your clean hair under cool water. Cool water ensures that the hair follicle is tight. This reduces the amount of hair that is lost after a shower
- Minimize heat and color. Using heat or hair color on your hair damages the hair over time. Try to reduce the amount of heat that you use on your hair by letting your hair air dry when possible. Use sponge or velcro rollers instead of hot rollers. Stretch out the amount of time between coloring and use color-safe shampoo to minimize hair dying damage.
- Brush your hair carefully. Use a wide-tooth comb to gently detangle your hair. Work the comb through the ends of your hair and move your way up to the scalp. Tugging too hard on the hair to brush out tangles will result in hair loss.
- Wear a ponytail correctly. Pulling your hair too tight into a ponytail on top of your head can result in breakage. Instead, wear your hair down or in a loose ponytail. Avoid using rubber hairbands. Change up the position of your ponytail so that your hair doesn’t get too brittle in one area.
- Massage your scalp. Performing a daily scalp massage on yourself may help to stimulate blood flow to your hair follicles and promote hair growth. Include a daily scalp massage in your hair care routine.
- Get your hair trimmed. It might sound counter-intuitive but getting your hair trimmed will help your hair from breaking off and this will result in your hair growing faster. With time, the strands of hair will begin to split at the ends. These split ends tangle and are more likely to be pulled out when brushed. Keeping your hair trimmed will minimize split ends.
- Use a silk pillowcase. Your hair can catch on the threads of a cotton pillowcase. A silk pillowcase reduces this friction, thus reducing breakage.
Wrapping your head in a silk scarf could be used as an alternative to a silk pillowcase.
- Avoid wrapping your hair in a towel. Wrapping your hair in a towel on top of your head after a shower can also cause breakage. Instead, gently squeeze or blot excess water out of your hair.
You may also consider using a microfiber towel to wrap your hair since these are gentler than regular cotton towels.
- Include protein in your daily diet. Your hair and nails are primarily made up of a protein called keratin. Hair growth has three phases: anagen (when hair is growing), catagen (when growth starts to shut down), and telogen (when growth stops and/or the hair falls out).Hair that is lacking protein goes into resting stage faster than hair rich in protein.
- Eat vitamin-rich foods. Vitamin D is thought to be crucial to hair growth. Vitamin C is also important for iron absorption. Vitamin C is common in citrus fruits, such as oranges, grapefruit, and limes. You can get Vitamin D from the sun and food sources like fortified milk and fortified orange juice.
- Increase your iron and zinc intake. Minerals like iron and zinc are crucial to the production of proteins that make up the hair on your body. Low iron is known to cause hair loss.
If you come up with new/other tips, feel free to share with us!